Shrimp and Grits
• 4 cups water
• 1 cup stone ground grits
• 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1 lb (pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
• ¼ c butter
• ¼ c flour, all purpose
• 1 c shrimp stock
• ¼ c sweet onion, chopped
• ¼ c each red, yellow, green pepper
• 1 clove of garlic, crushed
• 1 bay leaf
• Juice of ½ lemon
• Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. In a medium sized sauce pot over high heat, bring 4 cups of water to a boil with 1 tsp salt. Sprinkle in grits. Stirring often, reduce to low for 35-40 minutes.
2. In a large sauté pan melt butter, sauté onion, peppers, bay leaves and garlic. Sprinkle with flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in shrimp stock. Simmer 5 minutes stirring often.
Add shrimp to the sauce and cook through, 5 minutes, add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the cheese to the grits.
3. Serve Shrimp and sauce atop the grits